Friday, September 1, 2017

Be Still

How many of you parents out there have told your kids to be still? What are we asking of our children when we make this {sometimes not so nice} request? When I ask Shelby to be still, I'm asking her to either stop moving, quit squirming, sit down, listen... I know how frustrated I can become when she doesn't obey my request.

I wonder if God feels the same way about me. His word commands his followers to be still (Exodus, Psalm, Mark, etc).  Context is probably important here...

  • In Exodus 14, the Israelites have just left Egypt, and they are being chased by "all of the forces of Pharoh's army." They were panicked thinking death was surely upon them. Moses' response was "Be Still." 
  • In Psalm 46, David is singing praises to the Lord, and he's not in the most pleasant of situations: the seas will roar, mountains tremble, nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall, complete desolation all around. In the midst of all of this devastation and destruction, verse 10 tells us to "Be Still..."
  • In Mark 4, the disciples are on a boat and a "furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion" v37-38. Jesus got up and commanded the storm to "be still" and the storm died down and everything was completely calm.


These are all people that have witnessed God's miracles (plagues, deliverance, manna from Heaven, miraculous healing...) yet they had to be reminded to be still. Being still is hard. It requires patience, trust, COMPLETE SURRENDER. 

For my personal journey, that means letting go of things I have been trying to control, waiting quietly, trusting that His plan is much better than mine, realizing I serve a God who loves me more than anyone else does, recognizing that God has a plan to work all of these things together for my good (Romans 8:28), and that He can accomplish immeasurably more than anything I can ask or even imagine (Ephesians 3:20).  It means handing my stuff off to God and begging Him every morning not to let me take them back.

What are you holding on to today that you need to surrender to God? I would encourage you to ask him to take it - and not let you have it back.

💗


No comments:

Post a Comment