Thursday, August 10, 2017

Sticks and Stones




Words are incredibly powerful. They can build up, encourage, and motivate. They can also tear down. I remember the old children’s saying, "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me." Well, I’d like to talk to the person that came up with that saying because it simply isn’t true. Words hurt. Sometimes very badly. The Bible tells us “the tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.” (Proverbs 18:21, NLT). 


Recently I had a friend remind me of this verse. I was struggling through an issue and replaying a conversation over and over in my head. I called her to discuss the conversation because something just didn’t feel right about the way it ended, but I couldn’t quite determine what was bothering me. Nothing I said was untrue or mean; however, my words were not affirming nor life giving. Saying the words aloud to this person further reinforced the belief in my own words instead of God’s promises to me.

Consider this: Lazarus had been dead for 4 days when Jesus brought him back to life using three words: “Lazarus, Come forth.” 3 words. 2 if you don’t count Lazarus’ name (John 11:43-44). He spoke death to the fig tree in 6 words: “May you never bear fruit again!” and immediately the fig tree withered up (Matthew 21:19). Our words are extremely important - a matter of life and death, in fact.

Today I’m starting a book called The Forty-Day Word Fast: A Spiritual Journey to Eliminate Toxic Words from Your Life by Tim Cameron. In the book, Tim encourages readers to fast from words of judgement, criticism, sarcasm 😟😨, negativity, complaining and gossip for 40 days. Obviously, I struggle with some of these more than others.

Feel free to buy the book and join me! It should be an interesting journey.

1 comment:

  1. Perfect timing! Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete